Graduating High School and starting College has been one of the most exciting and terrifying experiences of my life. My move from Florida to New York City was one I had been anticipating in happiness and fear for over 4 years. I always had huge dreams of moving into the city, but as reality began to set in and the date approached quickly, I realized I was scared out of my mind.
Despite only being here for about a week now, there are a few things I’ve realized are important.
- Having no idea what you’re doing or what you want to do..is totally okay. As annoying as this may feel sometimes, its completely normal. As an 18 year old, I have absolutely no idea where I’m going to be in a year or what I’m going to be doing. Things may be completely different for me tomorrow, let alone 365 days from now.
- Not every day will be perfect. It’s not supposed to be, that’s not the way life works.
- Taking risks is important. You’ll never be able to grow unless you get out of your comfort zone. Is it scary? Absolutely, it’s supposed to be.
- Live your life for yourself. In the age of social media it is so easy to get caught up in looking like you’re having a great time, as opposed to actually having a great time. While there is NOTHING wrong with sharing pictures, videos, or posts about something you did that made you happy, it’s also important to live in the moment. If you go to a concert make sure after you get that amazing picture or video, you actually listen and enjoy yourself.
- Sometimes you need time to be alone. This does not make you anti-social, it makes you human. We all need time to unwind and be with our thoughts. You don’t have to hang out with friends constantly if you don’t want to. You don’t have to go out every night because every else is. Take time for yourself, It will benefit you much more than you know.
These are five things to keep in mind as you take on everyday. Be mindful and remember your health and happiness take priority over anyone else’s.